This post was supposed to be my Acne Skin care routine but before I put that out, I thought I would mention the DIY cleansers that I’ve been using and were very effective in my “Go away Acne” journey. I am really old school when it comes to my skin and hair, I use same age-old recipes that my mom and grand mother used to make for me when I was a kid. But for a brief period in my teenage when my acne got worst, I panicked and went on a toxic splurge and tried every fancy acne cream, lotion and treatment that was available in the market. As I started to gain more insight on healthy living, I realized how many unhealthy chemicals I’ve been putting on my face. I slowly switched back to all natural, which happened to be the best thing I did to my skin.
Here are my 2 favorite cleansers which can be also used as masks for face and body acne.
1. Turmeric and Gram flour Mask
This is the age-old recipe I was talking about. I bet if you are raised in India, you might have used it at least once. It is popularly known as “Ubtan” in hindi, “Sunni Pindi” in Telugu which means “Bath Powder”. The original recipe includes herbs, green lentils, and many other wonderful ingredients. I tweaked the recipe to just 2 ingredients and included lemon. I will do a post on the original recipe once I manage to find all the ingredients. I love this cleanser for the freshness, smoothness and fragrance it leaves you with when you bath with it.
Turmeric has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, that means it has the ability to neutralize free radicals that are caused by UV radiations and prevent future breakouts and delay ageing. The antibacterial property helps in killing the bacteria that cause breakouts. Turmeric, Gram Flour (Besan) and lemon all three are very effective for skin lightning and eliminating dark spots. When applied on a regular basis, both turmeric and Gram flour has the ability to slow down facial hair growth. Gram flour work wonders on any type of skin as it absorbs and removes excess oil from skin without ripping skins natural moisture so your skin is left moisturized and supple.
- 1/2 cup of organic gram flour (aka chickpeas flour or besan)
- Pinch of organic turmeric
- 1/2 Lemon or combine both water and lemon together
- Mix glam flour and turmeric into a container. Take a small amount into a bowl and add lemon to it before applying to the face
- Cleanser- Take a some amount into your palm, squeeze a drop or 2 of lemon juice to it. Rub it on your hands and apply it to your face in the same way you do with your regular cleanser. For daily use, I alternate between water and lemon juice.
- Mask- Mix all the ingredients into a consistent paste. Apply to clean, damp skin and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Then wash off and apply a moisturizer.
2. Tomato and Lemon Mask
This is my favorite cleanser/mask for fighting body acne and reducing acne pores. It also doubles as an excellent tan remover and exfoliater.
Lemon and tomato both are high source of Vitamin C, it helps in skin lightening (excellent astringent), reduce clogged pores by preventing bacteria, dirt and oil from entering into the skin and causing breakout. Vitamin A in tomato protects the skin from free radicals that cause acne. If you are suffering from open/acne pores, this mask is excellent for shrinking pore size and nourishing skin. Since rice flour is coarse, it also exfoliates skin very well and helps in removing blackheads.
- 1 tomato made into juice
- 1/2 cup of Organic rice flour
- 1/2 lemon
Note- This measurement is good for a body mask
- Mix all ingredients into a consistent paste. Apply to clean, damp skin and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Storage- For regular use, store tomato juice separately in refrigerator and make the mask fresh whenever you want to use it. The juice is good for 2 weeks when stored in refrigerator.
Which is your favorite face mask/ cleanser for Acne?